What do you need to know about the EU Settlement Scheme?
If you have employees that are EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens and are living in the UK, then they need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme to be able to continue living here after 30th June 2021.
- It is free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, and the deadline for applications is 31st December 2020.
- Once the applications have been sent your employees will be given ‘Settled’ or ‘Pre-Settled Status’.
- If your employees have been living in the UK for a continuous five years, they will receive ‘Settled Status’.
- If your employees do not have continuous five years residence, they will be given ‘Pre-settled Status’ and will be able to apply for Settled Status after a continuous five years in the UK.
- Both statuses allow the employee to continue living and working in the UK and they will be able to enrol in education, access public funds (such as benefits and pensions) and be able to travel in and out of the UK.
- If your employees have indefinite leave to remain or if they are an Irish Citizen then they do not need to apply for this scheme
- It would be best practice to get all your EU, EEA or Swiss employees to apply on the EU Settlement Scheme now to avoid delays and to make sure you have all relevant documentation on file. All employees will need to be living in the UK before we leave the EU to be able to apply.
- Act now as the queue for applicants is already building and you need this documentation on file.
If you would like more advice give one of our consultants a call.