Why you should hire an apprentice for your small business. Apprenticeships are ideal for small businesses. With over 500 apprenticeships available, they are a viable option for small businesses to grow talent and develop a skilled, motivated and qualified workforce. There are now apprenticeships available for every sector. These range from business support assistants to dog groomers and hairdressers. What’s more, apprenticeships aren’t just for school leavers.
Businesses that have hired apprentices report improved productivity and retention. According to the National Apprenticeship Service:
- 86% of employers said apprenticeships helped them develop skills relevant to their organisation
- 78% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve productivity
- 74% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve the quality of their product or service
Other benefits include: training that can be adapted to suit your business and its needs, motivated employees who are learning new skills all the time, and an opportunity to expand and upskill your workforce. Don’t forget, existing employees can also start an apprenticeship.
With funding available, small businesses looking for additional resources are frequently turning to apprenticeships. L&D Manager Katy Wade recently hosted a half-hour webinar with Enterprise Nation on how to hire an apprentice as a small business owner. Listen to the replay to learn:
- How to start an apprenticeship scheme, how it works, and how to recruit
- Understanding apprenticeships, the standards and levels available, and which one is right for your business
- Funding available and how much an apprenticeship might cost your business